CAUTION: Deer Crossing… Deer breeding season is once again upon us, AKA “The Rut”. This is a time when deer are increasingly on the move; a dangerous time for drivers. According to the insurance industry, 1.6 million deer-vehicle collisions occur each year, with November accounting for the most collisions. Here are a few driving tips to help you avoid a collision with a deer:
- If you see a deer crossing the road, more than likely there will be several more, watch for the rest of the pack
- Deer are typically most active from at dusk and dawn
- Pay attention to the amber caution signs. They are placed intentionally where the wildlife activity is the highest.
- If you have the option, stay in the center lane on a multi lane road. This will give you a little extra time to spot deer crossing from either roadside
- If you see deer crossing the road, drive straight and brake firmly. There is no telling if the deer will turn and run back or continue their path. DO NOT SWERVE. If you try to swerve you are putting yourself at a higher risk for a potential crash, either off the road or into another car.
- As always, wear your seat belt
- If you do strike a deer, pull over to the side of the road with your flashers on as soon as it is safe to do so.
- Remain in your vehicle and call emergency services. Let the professionals move the deer from the road.
- DO NOT exit your vehicle to go check on a deer that has been hit. You are putting yourself at risk of being hit by a passing vehicle AND of being attacked by a wounded animal.
ABOUT MCCARTHY TIRE SERVICE
Founded in 1926, McCarthy Tire Service is a family-owned and operated tire dealer headquartered in Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania. The company has more than 70 service locations and 11 Bandag retread tire manufacturing plants along the east coast of the United States. McCarthy Tire is the 5th largest independent commercial tire dealer and one of the top 50 retail tire dealers in the country. The company offers tire sales and service; automotive mechanical services and repairs; fleet services; truck mechanical services; 24-hour commercial roadside assistance; and retread tire manufacturing. For more information, visit www.McCarthyTire.com.
SAFETY CONTACT: Russ Devens